Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Feckin' Paddies

St Patricks Day has struck again.
We woke early on Saturday and this unusual event inspired us to ignore my usual rule of thumb (marching and March do not a match make) and with an uncharacteristic display of energy we decided to attend the parade in Limerick city. I lasted an hour and a half.
First the weather suckered us in. When we got into the car at 11.25am the day was cool but shiny. By 11.30am the sky was overcast and ominous.
Second, the parade was supposed to start at 11.30am - and I'm not gonna point any fingers here, you know who you are - but that was time given to me. Actually I should have known better. The day the St Patricks Day parade -anywhere- starts on time, will be the same day that hell freezes over, martians land on earth, genetically engineered pigs fly and the Luas is empty at Heuston at nine o'clock in the morning.
Third, it was so cold, so cold, so cold, so cold, so cold. I swear my joints actually froze my body into a weird plank like position. I had a fixed grimace on my face for about two hours. I terrified little children. Admittedly a bonus, but still.

Anyway all this is leading to the astounding fact that I have a bloody cold, I sound like a man. I was alone in the house yesterday for a while and I began speaking to myself, as you do, and I ended up locking myself in the bathroom until I realised the rasping, deep throated growl was actually coming from my mouth.
Upside of this is that I got to watch daytime television. Dog the Bounty Hunter was on. You can actually watch this with the sound turned off, it's just as good. I personally watch it for the hairstyles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home