Friday, April 27, 2007

Nefarious Shenanigans.

Woo hoo, only had to sign in twice! Reminds me of the time I decided to use the word 'squirrel' as a password, cos you know what they say about squirrels and their nuts.........they always remember where they've hidden them............or is it that they always forget where they've hidden their nuts..................either way there is a correlation between forgetfulness and squirrels, and I figured that there would be no way I'd forget that word as a password. I never did, instead I forgot what it was a password for.


I've gone a bit mad lately with book buying. I recently got An Old Captivity by Nevil Shute Norway (never knew that was his full name), What the Chinese Don't Eat by Xinran, the latest John Connolly, a book by Mo Hayder called Pig Island, The Secret Supper by i wanna be rich like dan brown, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers (it had better be) and last but not least Never The Bride by Paul Magrs.
I've finished That Old Captivity and What the Chinese Don't Eat and both are good but not good enough. The Xinran book is too short and the Nevil Shute book goes on and on and on and on and on in an admittedly engaging way about sea planes, buying them, building them, putting them together, oiling them, testing them, flying them, landing them, taking off in them.........the story was meant to be about Vikings and greenland and archeology. I feel jibbed. I like Nevil Shute, I enjoyed this book up to the point where I realised I was more than half way through it and he still hadn't gotten to the point. If he had wanted to write a book about sea planes, fine, great, no one was stopping him. My problem is that I hadn't wanted to read a book about sea planes.

I've just started the Never the Bride book and yay - I've judged a book by its cover and I'm justified. I'm pretty relieved cos I got suckered in by the buy 3 get 1 free offer at Waterstones so I'm looking for value for money.
The blurb on the back goes
"Brenda has come to Whitby to run a B& B in search of some peace and quiet." Betcha you're already yawning...........well the rest of the blurb includes words like 'nefarious shenanigans' and 'satanic beauty salons' . Ah, I'm practically purring. I'm like a cat that got the cream, or indeed like that squirrel with his nuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home